Breast Cancer Survivor
In this episode, Jodi-Ann Burey speaks with Shayla Martin, a breast cancer survivor (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma – IDC) whose journey of surviving cancer and her mastectomy has completely changed the trajectory of her life. Shalya provides details on the happenstance way she found her tumor and her path towards treatment. Jodi-Ann and Shayla also discuss passages from Audre Lorde’s book, The Cancer Journals, and how reconstruction has changed her relationship with her body and what it means to face your own mortality. There are many many parts of the cancer journey others do not see and this episode reveals a bit more of what that looks like for Black women.
Post Show Goodies:
- What we do with all the cards
- What work schedules and life plans looked like after the moment of diagnosis
- How we try to be more present in our lives
Here are Shayla’s listener recommendations:
- Someone to know: Brene Brown
- Someone to read: Brene Brown’s books on vulnerability
- Something to listen to: music – throw yourself a party!
This episode was created during the 2020 global COVID-19 pandemic and the movement for Black lives.